Engagement Editor, Radio Ambulante
New York, NY, United States
Radio Ambulante is a groundbreaking weekly Spanish language podcast, distributed by NPR, that uses long-form audio journalism to tell neglected and under-reported Latin American and Latino stories. We work with a talented community of journalists and storytellers and radio producers from all over the region, and have built a dedicated audience for our work across the US and Latin America. In 2014, Radio Ambulante was awarded awarded the Gabriel García Márquez Prize for Innovation in Journalism, the most prestigious journalism honor in Latin America.
Radio Ambulante is seeking a dynamic and creative Engagement Editor to help us grow our audience and impact. This is a full time job, starting in July 2017.
We’re looking for someone who will take charge of our social media accounts, as well as our weekly newsletters. The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience running social feeds and creating original digital content. They must also be passionate about the power of social media to engage and connect with new audiences, including Latinos who may not listen to podcasts or public media, Latin American news consumers, and non-Latinos who are passionate about Latin America.
We want someone who can curate a strong social media presence, work independently and devise strategies for engagement across digital platforms.
This position is not, however, just about social networks. He or she will work closely with Radio Ambulante’s team to become well versed in our identity and voice. As our podcast covers the Latin American region, the ideal candidate must be knowledgeable in Latin America’s current events, be a clear and concise writer in both English and Spanish, and have thorough understanding of social engagement, analytics and audience development.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
– Work closely with our editorial and production team to create memorable based on our storytelling and journalism, for audiences both in the US and Latin America
– Monitor metrics closely to develop short and long term strategies
– Post to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and interact with our followers every day
– Creating multimedia assets, including video, GIFS and interactives
– Work closely with our partners at NPR to make sure that Radio Ambulante’s stories are featured on other NPR’s shows.
– Write Radio Ambulante’s weekly newsletter
– Write Escuela Radio Ambulante’s monthly newsletter
– Edit Radio Ambulante’s and Escuela Radio Ambulante’s websites, as needed to create campaigns, and make sure they’re in sync with our social media voice.
– Serve as primary point person for our new Hearken-powered editorial initiatives.
– You must be based in NYC and be able to work form our offices in SoHo
– Have a work permit in the United States
– Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications or journalism.
– Digital and technologically savvy! (Comfortable using programs like Slack, MailChimp, Trello, PPT, Google Apps, Excel, Basic HTML, Keynote, WordPress, Hearken). We need someone who has a firm grasp of graphic design and is skilled using Photoshop or InDesign.
– Experience planning and executing social campaigns
– Native fluency in both English and Spanish, including written and oral communication skills
– 3+ years of tracked experience, carefully crafted tweets, facebook and instagram posts
– Hands-on experience using data collected from key analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, Facebook Insights, and more
– General understanding of the evolving social media landscape and ongoing desire to stay on top of changes to platforms and best practices
– Being innovative, unafraid of experimenting
– A team player and have a great sense of humor
– Passionate about Latin America and US Latino culture, as well as excited to work at an innovative Latino media startup.
– Well-informed about Latino and Latin American politics and culture.
Please send a cover letter in Spanish, a resume in English or Spanish, and 3 samples of your best work, demonstrating your graphic and multimedia skills. Also include 2 written samples, one in English and one in Spanish. If you have published newsletters, please include a sample as well. Lastly, share some of the social feeds that you have managed.
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Engagement Editor” in the subject heading.
We’re looking to fill this position as soon as possible